Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Public Radio Pledge Week

It’s the spring pledge drive on Public Radio, which means that it’s one of the two times a year that I actually change the radio channel.

The problem is that I didn’t get the music gene from anyone. My preference has always been for words rather than melodies, even as a little kid. Music is simply noise that fails to move my soul, and I like discussion or quiz shows or audiobooks better.

Public radio offers all of these, but without the screaming that is so common on regular radio – either from the shock jocks who are spewing hate from one side or the other or the insipid morning shows that are heavy on loud advertising and prank telephone calls and short on actual events that might be of some lasting importance.

Except during pledge week. Then the regular programming schedule – that which is etched into my brain after years of exposure – is interrupted with pleas for donations, challenges to encourage giving to fulfill a matching grant and offers of a variety of gifts showing one’s appreciation.

It essentially becomes AM radio, just at a lower volume and in monotone.

Don’t get me wrong – I appreciate the fact that they have to ask for money. I am a supporter of our local public radio station, and have been so for many years. It’s a lot cheaper than the cable bill and is a part of my charitable giving because I think they spend the money that I give them every year wisely and on worthwhile things.

Especially programming that I like.

I donate during the fall drive, either out of habit or because the perks seem better then, I’m not sure which. After all, you can never have too many WFAE coffee mugs or tote bags.

It’s just the process that I hate, in part because it’s so repetitive and disrupts the normal flow of the universe.

They play the same ads that they’ve used for several years now, but it doesn’t bring a smile to your face the way you know it’s Christmas in Oklahoma because the BC Clark Jingle starts playing on television.

For those that don’t know, this jingle (http://www.bcclarkjingle.com/audio) is supposedly the oldest continually used piece of advertising music in the United States.

Instead, the radio ads are just tired and something to be avoided, the same way people get word during Sunday School that it’s “Gideon Sunday” and slip out of church.

If I’ve heard the pitch a dozen times before, I’m either going to give or not. Hearing the story again isn’t likely to change my mind.

I feel the same way about political advertising, too. While some ads have confirmed who I will NOT be voting for, I can’t think of a single instance where one has swayed me to vote for someone.

My truck radio really doesn’t need more than 3 buttons, which allow me to swap between the various NPR stations in the areas that I normally travel.

Except during pledge week, when all of them are running the same advertising and pleas for funding and I have to put some other type of programming in.

Which is hard, because my truck is so old that it has a cassette player, meaning you have to use an adapter of some type to play your iPod or other gizmo of choice over the car radio.

Fortunately, pledge week only happens twice a year and it’s almost over.

I have to go call in now, though, because they’re offering a “Best of Car Talk” CD if you donate $120 or more before the top of the hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ralph just has to add that, I like you, am a big fan and supporter of NPR but their pledge weeks seem to be interminable. It is not just the repetitivenes and monotone. It seems that most of their programming is forfor pledging and they barely get in the good stuff. I know they don't do ads all year but they seem to make up for it all at once.
I tell them to keep the coffee mugs and bags as I already have more stuff in my house than I need. It has to save them some money and maybe if all of us would do that they could cut an hour out of the pledging. Just a crazy thought.