Friday, December 31, 2010

A Walk on the Wild Side

I picked up a woman Thursday morning. That’s something that hadn’t happened in years, but there she was in front of me, and what could I do?

I never thought of myself as being cougar bait before, and didn’t imagine that I’d be so compelled to interact with a woman who was easily 20 years my senior but there she was, smiling sheepishly and what could I do?

I melted, took her hand in mine and we set off strolling down the street arm in arm toward her apartment after a few seconds conversation. We both knew, I think, that it wouldn’t be a lasting relationship. Instead, it was mere happenstance, a dalliance that presented itself and was an opportunity to be taken immediately and without forethought.

Now, before anyone jumps to any conclusions about lifestyle changes, I have to tell you that the interaction was purely physical. Had she not looked as she did nor been the "type" she was, it probably wouldn't have happened.

It was also entirely weather related.  Blizzards make strange bedfellows, to steal a phrase.

She was petite, about 4'11, in a camel wool coat with a plaid beret and cap setting off her outfit.  She'd obviously taken pains with her appearance before setting out this morning.

And there she was, sprawled on the street after a spill received while trying to climb over a snowbank half of her height.  She lost her footing and took a spill in the snow, scattered her bags around as she went down. 

I wasn't special, but merely available.  She simply needed someone to balance against as she was helped up, dusted off and continued across the street.  Anyone in sensible shoes who had a bit of balance and traction would have been welcome.

I just happened to be there and was raised right, so I got to help her up and across the street, after which we continued our separate ways, our physical interaction fleeting and complete, just to be a warm memory as we went on with our respective lives..

No comments: