Tuesday, December 27, 2011

THE BLOG IS BACK!!

OK, at least 4 people not related to me have asked what was up and why I quit writing the blog. It’s not quite a “hue and cry” for it’s return, but it’s enough that after my respite I’m enthused to start again.

Why did it stop?

A couple of reasons. One was pharmacological. I’m 50, overweight and have lived on a diet of high fat and salt. It should surprise no one that I’ve recently been put on blood pressure meds and been given strict instructions that the gym membership doesn’t work just because you pay for it every month. You have to actually GO to the gym and GET ON the machines and MAKE THEM OPERATE.

I know, I was surprised, too.

Anyhow, this being my first experience with meds that you take for a long period of time, I was surprised to find out that there’s sometimes a balancing that has to take place.

Over weeks, not days.

And the side effects don’t always go away. In this particular case, there were a couple. First, I was exhausted all the time. That was bad, but I could push through it for a while at least.

The side effect I couldn’t get over, though, was how it screwed up my sodium levels and consequently my ability to think and concentrate.

Words escaped me. Names of people I knew were gone and I couldn’t draw them.

Lawyers (or bloggers) who can’t follow timelines or remember details and words are at a significant disadvantage.

Fortunately, living with a medical-type person, we were able to figure it out after just a week or two.
The problem then was that the side effects don’t go away the next day. It took weeks to get that stuff outta my system and get back to semi-normal.

The second reason was that I realized I was trying to make my blog something that it wasn’t. I had grandiose ideas about going through the details about North Carolina’s proposed Constitutional Amendment on marriage.

The problem is, it just wouldn’t flow. I don’t know if I’m too close to it to write objectively, but try as I might the posts didn’t want to come out.

I’m changing the focus back to what I was. I’ll still rant about our politicians, I’m sure – mainly because they’re just too easy a target, especially during a presidential election year.

So I’m starting up again. Maybe not daily, but the goal is to be somewhat regular in my posts.

Anyone got suggestions for topics?

1 comment:

Ed in Hickory said...

Welcome back!!! I assumed there was a good reason, but decided it was your reason and none of my business - but the words sound like you so I'm also going to assume you are back :)