Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Six Weeks at Home

Six weeks.

That’s how long it’s been that this household has seriously been on “lockdown”. 

For about that long before that, there was a soft start to lockdown.  We weren’t going out unnecessarily – looking back, it was limited to preparing for a longer stay-at-home stint, but there were still some outings during that time.

Haircuts.  One of which I really need, and which may in another month send me to the clippers upstairs to try that buzz cut that my brothers and I all wore during summers as kids.

Multiple trips to Lowes, Home Depot or Target for “stuff” we thought was needed but which we’ve now learned really wasn’t.  (Or if it was, it could wait a few days for delivery).

I can point to the exact time because one of the last things I did before sealing the airlock door was forward the office mail from the post office to home.  I wasn’t sure this had happened and went in to check.  Sure enough, they’d taped across the back of my box and one of the employees there, when she saw me looking said she thought I’d put a forwarding order in.

Yes, the post office here is small enough for that, and I used to go there almost daily.  They know me like a Starbucks barista knows their regular customers.

But we haven’t seen each other in six weeks now, and I have extended the forwarding order – not another month, as I had so optimistically done before, but this time through July 1 because I think that common sense is going to tell us to limit social contact significantly whether any official directive is in place then or not.

If our legislators have their way, it may be a moot point.  The post office has long suffered from interference with any reasonable business operations by our elected officials, and the current administration seems especially bent on completely dismantling the system which will have unintended consequences far beyond what any of us can imagine.

But for now, it provides a date from which to measure.

NOTE – I wrote about the post office in a previous post, on September 5, 2011.


No comments: