Sunday, August 15, 2010

More about the Bling

So I’m here today with egg on my face. Usually when that happens, it’s not just egg, but a side of bacon and a biscuit covered with sausage gravy, completing the heart attack special.

Last Friday, I committed a fundamental error when I should have known better. I relied on a newspaper article as the primary source of information.

After all the years that I, myself, was a bureaucrat, I should have remembered that their job (especially on the front page) is to sell newspapers and not necessarily to provide the whole truth.

The issue in question involved the use of ankle bracelets that monitor alcohol use by convicted DWI offenders. North Carolina is the only state that doesn’t use them, and in the article ran by the Charlotte Observer that appeared to be primarily the result of the actions of Gregg Stahl, the Deputy Director of the Administrative Office of the Courts.

Mr. Stahl saw my post and sent me an email. He had tried to respond in the comments but was precluded due to the length of his response, so in the interest of fairness I’ll put it here, and then I’ll comment again afterwards.

No comments: