Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hotels and Newspapers

Is there any luxury to compare with lying in bed (usually on a weekend morning) with a hot cup of coffee and the newspaper and without a list of chores or an agenda for things you have to do that day?

I think that’s one of the things about travel that is enticing to us. It’s not possible to get up and go do the laundry or clean the kitchen or mow the yard. You may as well read the paper and enjoy it.

When I was a little kid, my brothers and I used to bounce into mom and dad’s room and climb on the bed with Dad to make him read the Sunday comics to us. I don’t know that we understood a lot of it, but we loved climbing up in bed (and, of course, all over him). I suspect this also kept us out of Mom’s hair while she made breakfast and then started to get ready for church.

The paper in bed now is a bit different. I still read the comics (usually first – followed by Dear Abby or its equivalent) and I can read our home paper every day through the wonders of my laptop computer. Electronic editions that are available now mean I don’t have to catch up with the stack of papers when we get back home. In fact, more often than not I read the paper online even if I am at home.

I still like the local papers, too, because it helps confirm that in some ways we are all alike. Everyone tends to have similar problems, and sometimes you learn a new way to address it.

When you travel, though, you can lounge about absolutely guilt free and have a slow start to the morning. There’s no lunch to pack, no calendar to check and although there may be email messages regarding work, they usually can wait a bit for anything to happen. It is a luxury we tend to deny ourselves when at home.

So this morning, having passed 10:00, we remain ensconced in the hotel room appropriately coffeed (it requires going up the street, but that’s a minor inconvenience) and just enjoying the fact that the only chores we have – tidying up the dirty clothes from yesterday evening, primarily – can wait.

After all, we’re out of town.

No comments: