Monday, February 14, 2011

Prepare To Be Assimilated

We had to make one of our semi-annual trips to Hell yesterday. We couldn’t avoid it, there are some things you just can’t get anywhere else.

By “Hell”, of course I mean that scourge of retail in the western world, Wal Mart.

Wal Mart stores are like kudzu. Once it gets a toehold somewhere, you usually can’t eradicate it and it takes over and kills everything in its path. At that point, you simply have to recognize that it’s there and you have to deal with it as best you can.

In my case, that means shopping there only when there is absolutely no other choice – about twice a year. One of those times was last Sunday morning, about 7:00.

This is a “safe” time in WalMart. The drunks who go there after the bars close have already left, but the morning crowds aren’t usually out yet You can get in and out without being overwhelmed by the crush of humanity.

Here’s what I predict, though.

This is the shopping venue of the future. When I was growing up in the 60’s and 70’s, first you went downtown to lots of different stores to shop. That turned into the enclosed mall in the early 70’s and 80’s, and it then became the place to hang out as well.

Malls have since fallen out of favor, and there’s nothing sadder than a once high-end shopping mall that’s gone by the wayside. The anchor stores leave, then come the nail shops and “As Seen on TV” specialty stores. Roving gangs of adolescents take over and older people, single women and young mothers no longer feel safe, so they stop going. Of course, the fact that those same people can take care of much of their shopping for big-ticket items online doesn’t hurt. Anyone who’s had to drag a fussy baby through 37 stores knows that it’s worth twice the price to be able to “click and ship” an item.

So what’s the next retail sensation? I predict that Wal Mart will take over an increasingly larger part of our retail sector. We have a larger store in Hickory, complete with groceries and a McDonalds. They also have a bank, an optician, an urgent care clinic, a tax preparer, a beauty salon and a photography studio.

Excuse me, but that sounds a lot like what I remember being in downtown, or in a mall. In an attempt to expand their influence, they’ve taken out several registers and are building more cubicle-type storefronts to go in there as well. They are assimilating more and more formerly independent businesses in those blue vests.

Is this the town square or mall of the future? Like both town squares and malls, you can get most of what you routinely need in one place, there’s lots of parking – too much, in some opinions – and it’s convenient, being open 24 hours in most cases.

I hope not, but I’m afraid it’s going to turn into that especially if our society continues to buy into the “get it as cheaply as possible” culture.

Until then, I’ll continue to make my twice-yearly trips, getting those things that I absolutely cannot procure anywhere else.

6 comments:

Leslie W. Cothren said...

What kind of items can you not get anywhere else? I'm perplexed.
Mark and I shop there too much, I know that!

David Zealy said...

As a former retail mall whore I have to tell you your feeling is completely accurate. In the future it will be nothing but big box stores and strip malls. In my last years as a Belk employee I watched as more and more of our clientele left for the above attractions and as anchor stores made valiant efforts to seem more "like" Wal-Mart or Kohls. Welcome to America the most entitled and lazy country in the world......sigh.

Larry J. said...

@ Leslie - It tends to be specialty items that you need on a Sunday when those stores aren't open, or something that is so overpriced at the specialty stores that there's not a "kid-friendly" option.

Last Sunday, when it was gorgeous out, we wanted to go for the first bicycle ride of the season and found a flat on one of the bikes. You can't buy a bicycle tube in Hickory on a Suday EXCEPT at WM.

When our youngest was on a "fishing" craze a few years ago, that was the only place to find a rod and reel under $40.00. Sorry, but I'm not spending that much on something I know an 8 year old is eventually going to drop to the bottom of the lake.

Sheila said...

And don't forget that, as food prices rise significantly, more people will find that the much cheaper prices at WM are attractive. We now find ourselves stocking up at the WM supercenter 8 miles away at least once a month and saving money that we can then spend in local shops for the things that WM doesn't (YET) carry.

Anonymous said...

Ralph - I know I am just a retired old fart but I have made only one purchase in my life at Walmart and vowed I would never go back in - and haven't been.
If Walmart is the only place on the planet to have an item - I just need that item.
So be it!

Anonymous said...

I hope, it's OK